A visit to Koizilla, a local fishpond store, has resulted in quite the surprise for me. I was informed I am not the happy owner of a fishpond like I thought I was, but that I am the unwitting owner of a water garden. The size, depth and gallons of water contained do not add up to what is considered a fish pond. Oh well, I am happy with my water garden/fish pond, except for the pea green soup that has replaced the cool clear water that once filled my pond. I have a working pump, an umbrella (very large) to shade the pond, and I am currently doing water changes almost daily, not to mention all the chemicals I have put in to try and clear up the algae. I change at least a quarter of water per day. I pump water out, put water in and use a net to stir up the water to try and catch any dead leaves that have accumulated on the bottom. My goldfish seem to love this as they swim vigorously toward the net that I am stirring the water with. I am ashamed to say I have whacked one or two of them with the pole as it is hard to see them through the green fog. But, they survive so I can't be doing to bad.
My brother-in-law suggests I pump all the water out, taking care to remove the fish, and power wash the entire inside of my pond. Excuse me if I keep referring to this hole as my pond. I prefer to think of it as a fish pond vice a water garden as the words "fish pond" has so much power and brings to mind beauty and large powerful fish vice water garden. Water garden just brings to my mind a little pot of water making a tinkling sound from a little spray of water splashing about ( gotta admit, I had one of those for years <laughing>). I'm getting sidetracked. Cleaning the fish pond is something I am determined not to do as this would mean I can not maintain clear water and would have to do this major scrubbing yearly. Ugh. Tomorrow I try a different chemical, a different tactic.
No comments:
Post a Comment